Thursday, August 18, 1994

in the dirt a flicker

In the dirt a flicker
Saw not a muse but wings
Head firmly crooked to one side
Flipping and flapping
Making itself a crater not a bath
Not able to breeze the cool skies above
With a stick I tried to wake it
And knock some sense into it
Head stuck furiously flipping and flapping
Head down, down, down and into the ground

I must have made a sound
Behind me stood a man, a suit, with cigarette
I jumped back and away. He stepped forward.
Used his hands coaxing it to the sky
Flapped and flipped back to the dirt
Reached instead pavement unable to dig
Painful tries against soft feathered wings

The man used his cigarette hand to swoop it back to the crater
Its final bed for new exploration away from familiar territory
He clucked,”cha-cha,” shaking his head
I looked him in the eye and shrugged my soldiers
Hummed, “oh well,” without saying the words
We didn’t know each other’s language
Yet, we met on common ground at the Berlin fall
Recognizing this strange flickering and flopping
The flight down and into dirt... this strange bird with a twisted head

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.